Thursday, July 17, 2014

Something To Brag About

Something To Brag About

One time I was at a Martial Arts Hall of Fame function. I was nominated for induction along with fifty or so other martial arts practitioners. As we socialized in a large hallway, one man stood out. He was around sixty years old,
but looked stout and in good health. I had met him earlier an knew he was a veteran of Vietnam. Since he was a fellow Army vet I felt a kinship at first. Later though I came to the conclusion he was arrogant.

As he he was talking a small crowd gathered around him in a circle. He was the center of attention, both figuratively and literally. He had his arms outstretched with palms up.  I moved closer to hear what was being said. He looked down at his palms and then slowly raised his head. He swiveled his head back and forth making eye contact with each person that surrounded him.

"Wow, he can work a crowd." I thought.

In a slow drawn out voice he said, " I've Killed with these bare hands."

The crowd nodded in acknowledgement of his statement. You could of heard a pin drop in their hushed admiration.

I was appalled. Why would that be something to be proud of? I found myself pushing my way between people to the middle of the circle. I looked the old man in the eye, then outstretched my arms in imitation. I looked down at my open hands, turning them up and down a couple of times. Then emulating his earlier actions raised my eyes and met the the gaze of the crowd. I then said loud and clear,

 "I have not!"

The crowd irrupted  in applause.

I've always admitted my potential for violence, to ignore it seems like a dangerous denial. Recognizing that potential, makes me aware, and gives me the ability to temper it. What I find offensive is reveling or relishing in your ability to do harm.
Hurting others is easy. Controlling yourself is the true test of strength. I hope to pass this on to my children and students.




No comments: