Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Concert

The Flute Concert

I am on the back side of fifty, heading for sixty. I started the Martial arts weapon
Nunchuku, known mostly by the name of Nunchucks, about a year ago.
It is hard to start things that require a sharp mind and body when you are older.
You look on at athletic young people picking up the moves fast, and executing them in lightning fashion. At least that is the case with me. It would be easy for me to say, "Why bother." After I have dropped the damn things for the hundredth time, or hit my self once again on some protruding part of my aging frame. But my belief system is to do something for the pure joy of it and not to worry if you are the best.
Yes, we a love to be recognized, even if just for our efforts, that requires though that you indeed make the effort. You must get out of your box and risk.

A year ago or so, a  friend in the Children's mental health profession asked if
I would put on a Taekwondo demonstration with my students at a state event.
She also had heard me play the Native American flute and asked if I might play something. Now my music knowledge could probably fit in a thimble. Another thing I attempt but fall pitifully short on any real ability. But the cause was worthy, so I accepted the invitation to perform. I could fake my way through a tune.

The time drew near for the event when I received the events flyer through my e- mail. The poster listed the various activities. As I was reading I came to a section,
And read the following announcement:

"Flute Concert By Therese Guy."

What? Flute concert! I can maybe squeak out two tunes on my flute. Panic immediately set in. I thought about calling my friend up and saying I had pneumonia. I calmed down a bit and came up with a plan.

I have a collection of different kinds of flutes from all over the world. This happened quite by accident. Once someone sees the joy you have over some possession, people start giving you those for gifts. You know, like someone who collects salt and pepper shakers. So it has been with me, friends and students bring me flutes back from their travels. Being thus endowed I have become determined to figure out how to play one song on each instrument. I have pretty much accomplished that. One song per instrument. So I decided I would bring around ten of my favorite flutes and play a song on each. Thus making my ability to look far more then it was.

This was so out of my comfort zone!

The day came, and I did manage to play a song per instrument. Impressing a few
wide eyed kids. But I could not deceive, as I received the praise from the audience
I confessed my ruse. To my surprise the applause increased. They realized the courage it took to go out of my box and find a way to entertain, despite my limitations. This is the life lesson I wish to share. You should always strive to write that book, learn that language, run that race, it truly is in the journey not the destination. Most of all, have fun.

 

1 comment:

Tye Dye Guy said...

You're going to have some trouble selecting which of your many talents to perform at our next family reunions talent night! Heck, the rest of your kin may as well drop out of the lineup...